Monday, September 04, 2006

Back to my favorite songs of late.

Heather at Fuel brought this lovely band to my attention and when this song comes up in rotation (and it does a lot because I put it in a "songs of august" folder that I keep hitting) I'm stopped for a moment by the simple piano and then the Beatles-esque vocals come in and then the chorus turns the song wholly modern. He sings the words "Los Angeles" just whiny enough (in a good way.) I could listen to this over and over. And I do. When the first Thrills CD came out, I felt similarly. They both give off such a cool Cali vibe. Course this band is from NYC and the Thrills are from Ireland. Could have fooled me.

Rosewood Thieves, "Los Angeles"

This one I got from I Guess I'm Floating. Strangely, this reminds me of my childhood, of the 70s and growing up in Florida. Which is where these two guys spent their childhood, although I suspect in the 80s. (Or even, later? That's them to the right.) You'll see this posted again on (sm)all ages I suspect.

Ivy League, "London Bridges"

Another from IGIF, but hey, this band is everywhere. The Kooks are at the top of the pops in their native UK. I'm a sucker for the accent, it's deployed rather well on this lovely little song, and when they harmonize they remind me of the UK pop I loved in the late 80s and early 90s. Fluffy pop that makes me skank and sing along at the top of my lungs. And hey, they're named for a Bowie song. That works.

The Kooks, "She Moves In Her Own Way"

More about: The Rosewood Thieves, Ivy League, The Kooks

0 comments: