Wednesday, October 18, 2006

BFF Love, Pt. 1

Jeff Tweedy finally went off and punched a guy. Oh Jeff. Tonight, Wilco will be on NPR's online concert series for the second time (the first was February 2005). It's happening in Washington, DC's 9:30 Club. I bet he won't hit anyone tonight and I bet he makes fun of himself but also attempts to justify what he did tonight. It all starts around 9pm but will be archived for a year after its airdate. You can also listen to Jenny Lewis, Built to Spill, Regina Spektor and others that are already archived.

So last month it was my best friend Karen's birthday. With the help of some of her oldest friends from childhood, I put together a CD with a song from every year she has been on this earth. It took three CDs (she's old, ha ha) and I am going to post each volume here, starting with the first, but only for a short period of time. Below, the song list. Beyond that, a downloadable zip file. You should know, Karen grew up in Manchester, England, is generous and gorgeous and hilarious and has made many questionable fashion decisions over the years.

1966 Peter & Gordon, "Lady Godiva"
1967 Aretha Franklin, "Respect"

1968 Nina Simone, "Ain't Got No - I Got Life"
1969 Desmond Dekker & The Aces, "The Israelites"
1970 The Kinks, "Lola"

1971 T.Rex, "Bang A Gong (Get It On)"

1972 Stevie Wonder, "Superstition"

1973 Gary Glitter, "I Love, You Love, Me Love"
1974 ABBA, "Waterloo"

1975 Minnie Riperton, "Lovin' You"
1976 Elton John & Kiki Dee, "Don't Go Breaking My Heart"
1977 The Jam, "In The City"

1978 Buzzcocks, "Ever Fallen In Love"
1979 Gloria Gaynor, "I Will Survive"
1980 English Beat, "In The Bathroom"

1981 Roxy Music , "Jealous Guy"

1982 Dexy's Midnight Runners, "Come on Eileen"


Download the zip file with all the songs.

1 comments:

Idaho Dad said...

That's a great idea! I have a friend turning 40 next month... If I can find a whole bunch of really short songs, I might be able to squeeze them all onto one disc.